I’m so exhausted. The fact that my fingers are even moving along this keyboard is amazing me. I shouldn't complain though because it's the prettiest day yet. We went (by bus) about an hour away to edge of the city walls. Here, outside of the city, is where the catacombs lye. They are the underground burials of the ancient Christians. When the city was getting highly populated the room for tombs was reaching an ending point. They began to create these massive underground tunnels filled with burial sites. The one we visited today housed 40,000 bodies reaching nearly 8 miles of tunnels. It was intense.
The sadness part is that over the last 500 years people have robbed these graves only leaving the bones behind. When the city finally decided to memorialize the area many of the graves were unsealed and tore apart. After replacing much of the walking path and moving the remains to separate areas, they were able to create another place for tourism, it's sad but I am grateful because it was a once in a lifetime experience.
I was able to see the first piece of evident toward the Madonna, or the Virgin Mary. The very first drawing ever made of her lies in these tombs. I even bought a photo of it for you mom ;). I was also able to brush up on all my Christian history. We saw paintings of Jesus as a Shepard, the three boys in a fiery furnace, the wise men, Susanna the virgin, Daniel and the lion’s den etc. It was amazing to not only be in the city were Christianity was such a monumental religion but to also see some of the original pieces of its history.
Yet of course we are always reminded of the difference in medical help from then to modern day. For instance, I couldn't even count the number of baby tombs I saw. The infant mortality rate was extremely high in ancient times and you can even see some of the Greek notes left by their "grieving" parents. It was heartbreaking.
We also learned the Greek symbol for Jesus, its beautiful. I even bought a necklace for Alina with symbol stamped on a silver cross. I think she might actually wear it.
Earlier this week we visited the Jewish ghetto again and took a tour of the famous synogogue there. This ghetto was only 4-5 blocks long and housed nearly 5,000 Jews. It was closed in by a locked gate that opened in the mornings and was locked again at the Jewish curfew later that night. I couldn't believe the living conditions. Tiny, breakable homes, stores so small only a few people could stand in them, this was all there was.
The Synogogue itself was incredible. Two stories of seats that held nearly 9,000 people to worship. It was originally a small temple that had 5 separate alters. This was because the Jews were only allowed one temple in their entire ghetto so they broke the rules secretly and stored 5 within one building. When it was destroyed during WW2, they rebuilt it into what we see today. It’s truly an incredible sight! Mosaics along every inch of the walls, gold encrusted torahs, candles, and symbolic art at every turn.
I wish I could write you more and give you more details but we weren't allowed to take any photos and my memories are failing me as I am slowly falling asleep right now. I'm trying to write as often as I can, I'm sorry it hasn't been much though. The days here start early and end late with SO MUCH walking in between. With all of that and the amazing Bolognese we had at our class dinner tonight and my 2 mile run along the Tiber this afternoon my body is quitting on me. Tomorrow we are heading to the Constantine Arch and I WILL NOT forget my camera and will hopefully get a chance to load some more photos for you all. I love you dearly!
No comments:
Post a Comment